Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Melodious Cadence

In the farthest depths,
underneath it all,
you crouched below the staircase,
stayed in your vault.

Beating your drum,
reforming your rhythm,
folding your limbs, huddling down,
broken wings, lost pilgrim.

One dark night,
for all was night,
through the rock—a melody,
you sat upright.

I must hear more, you whined,
so you cocked your head,
you scratched the stone,
this ore I’ll claw, you said.

Scraping away at the earth,
green moss moist routine,
you made your way heavenward,
via submarine.

At the greatest height,
above it all,
suspended by a cord,
you hung in your pall.

Somber heights and dreary fog,
you strummed your harp,
plucking your fate, groaning your song,
each string was barbed.

One blinding day,
for all was day,
through the mist below—a cadence,
below you surveyed.

I cannot see you! You called,
fumbling for your blade,
you set it to the thread,
this rope I’ll flay!

Sawing through that vine,
gnawing through that time,
you descended to the ground,
earthbound, resigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment